Margaret Annie Hughes, one of the original benefactors
In 1936 a group of trustees of Brockweir and Hewelsfield (from School House, Barn House, Greenfields, Severn House and Hill Cottage) bought the land, then known as Sunray field, for £70.
The Deed of Conveyance declared that the property...
“...shall be held in trust for the purposes of physical and mental recreation and social and moral and intellectual development through the medium of reading and recreation rooms, library, lectures, classes, recreations and entertainments or otherwise as may be found expedient for the benefit of the inhabitants of the Parish of Hewelsfield and/or the Polling District of Brockweir in the county of Gloucestershire and its immediate vicinity without distinction of sex or of political or other opinions subject to the provisions of these presents.”
The building itself was given by Millicent Mackenzie in memory of her husband Prof John S Mackenzie (see plaque left).
In 1952 the Trustees (from Barn Cottage, Rock Farm and Brockweir Farm) bought the land below the then school field for £10.00 “subject to the same powers and provisions” (as the first site).
The extension to the hall was built in 1994, thanks to the tremendous hard work of Trustees and villagers, and opened by Molly Chuter.
The floor was completely replaced in 1996 with the help of a lottery sports fund grant that was acquired by Tony Durrant as Chair of the Indoor Bowls Club.
In 2012 a disabled parking area allowing easy wheelchair access to the Hall was built.
In 2019 a professional sound system was installed.
The Hall continues to flourish thanks to the dedication and hard work of volunteers. We are also very grateful to receive donations from individuals to help us with the considerable expenses of running and improving The Hall. More detailed history will be entered on this website shortly.